The spruce (Picea abies) and pine (Pinus silvestris) grown in the harsh conditions of the north are with tight grain, so their cracking and living are limited.

Raw material

A tree growing in arctic conditions differs from their fast-growing fellow species. Its annual growth is smaller and the tree has thus tighter grain. Also the proportion of heartwood is higher.

Pine growing in Arctic conditions is especially appreciated by wood industry experts who consider it even equal to hardwood. Over the years, such wood does not darken like a rapidly growing pine tree of lush vegetation, but, according to its name, it gets beautiful reddish hue. This is because of the large proportion of the heartwood.

The cracking of the log made of an Arctic tree even in harsh conditions is less than that of a regular log. Also the consolidation of the log over time is very small. These features make it an ideal material for log construction.

About 65% of our products are made of pine, the remaining 35% of spruce.
Our raw material comes from PEFC and FSC certified forests. We buy timber from sawmills in Finland and Sweden.

In the economic forests in harsh growth conditions of the north, the Genuine Lapin Punahonka (Lapland Redwood) raw material grows and develops into a pine tree with tight grain.

Genuine Lapin Punahonka (Lapland’s Redwood) is not getting dark, but is patinating and taking a beautiful reddish hue.

Genuine Lapin Punahonka manufactures in a controlled production process from tight-grain wood strong, non-twisting and almost non-consolidating log frames.